Saturday, March 26, 2005

Wet road = Slow down!!!

Or better yet, -stop biking! -Very Dangerous!!!

I realize the importance of this sign yesterday morning when I rode my bike. I was very much excited to bike because it was a holiday, a holy week morning where most of the people are still sleeping. It was (almost) ideal day for biking; except for 1 thing, -it was drizzling.

I left my house about 5:10am; it was dark, cold, quiet and dry. As I was enjoying my ride, going through my usual route, I notice that it starts to drizzle. I was at Marcos highway already, from Ligaya going towards Antipolo. I pulled over to the side and assessed the situation. My concern then was not safety but the mud splash that my own tires will produce (my bike does not have any mud guard). I figured that if I am use to riding my bike in the rain (about 10 times already in the past year); so, what I plan to do is just reduce my speed so that my rear wheel will not cover my back with mud.

So it worked, it was still drizzling, and I am still enjoying my bike and running about 20 km/h; until I notice that the wind is getting stronger. At this point, I was passed Sta. Lucia and about 3 mins. of riding left until the stoplight at Masinag when I decided to go back home. I made a careful u-turn in one of the u-turn slots there (I guess about 5 km/h), when I slipped and fell off my bike. It made a light bruise to my left nee and right palm. It’s a good thing that I was wearing my gloves.

Any way, I pulled over again to the side to asses if I incurred major bruise and check if my bike is still working. My left pedal was dented, but that’s it. However, my right palm hurts so much that I hardly am able to hold the handle bar with my right hand.

I was going back home still riding my bike, but this time about 10 km/h. I slipped again! This time I was already crossing the street towards 7/11 at Ligaya. This 2nd slipped made me very angry with myself because I was already very very careful that time (about 2 km/h).

Fortunately, I was able to go back home fine but was not able to use my right hand the whole day because of the bruise. My mom places some ointment (I think it was katingko) then place a bandage on my right hand… Thanks mom!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home